KC Shooting: Security Guard Fired Shots First, Witness Says

KC Shooting: Security Guard Fired Shots First, Witness Says


Kansas City, MO—The 9ine Ultra Lounge bar has remained closed since the shooting that occurred on January 19. The incident in question took place after the Kansas City Chiefs won the AFC Championship.

The 9ine Ultra Lounge is where Raeven Parks (25) and alleged shooter Jahron Swift (29) died that night.

Officials informed the owner (and former Chiefs player) Alphonso Hodge that due to the shooting, the bar has failed its probationary period for a liquor license.

Hodge will have to get consent from neighboring businesses in order to keep his liquor license and continue doing business at the current location.

Since the night of the shooting that killed one woman and injured 15 other bar patrons, more information about the incident has come to light.

Witness Says Security Guard Fired Shots to Scare People

Speaking under anonymity, a witness came forth and answered questions about the 9ine Ultra Lounge shooting in an interview with FOX4.

“If you had money, if you want to pay the security guards, the security guards would let you in,” claimed the witness, who was waiting in line to get into the bar that night.

“When it was all said and done, when the crowd got in the door and they couldn’t let nobody in, I actually witnessed a security guard pull his gun out—fired two shots, two shots to get the crowd to scatter.

“Once the crowd scattered, everybody got trampled,” said the witness. “I got trampled, a couple people in my party got trampled.”

The witness also claims to remember seeing Jahron Swift, 29, who killed 25-year-old Raeven Parks, standing near him.

“Yeah, he was in line and got trampled. He was like, ‘Can I get my phone? Can I get my phone?’ And one of the security guards said, ‘F*ck you and your phone.’ His exact words,” said the witness.

“They wouldn’t let him get his phone after he got trampled the first time. They jumped on him, maced him.”

That is when the witness saw Swift, the shooter, walk away.

Police Were Called Before Shooting Rampage Began

The Kansas City Police Department confirmed that 30 minutes before Swift began shooting, they received calls of shots being fired at The 9ine Ultra Lounge.

The officers who initially responded said they didn’t find any shell casings, and the crowd didn’t see anyone shoot. They cleared the scene and made a report.

Only one minute after they left, another call came in saying more shots had been fired—this time, by Swift.

“Looking out the window, you see him come up and he starts firing,” said the witness. “Once he starts firing, everybody jumped down. I looked back. He’s running across the parking lot and (security is) firing rounds shooting at him.”

When FOX4 spoke to a spokesperson for Total Care, the company that contracts security for the bar, she said that guards at the door aren’t supposed to carry.