Extremist Killed After Planning to Bomb Hospital in Kansas City

Extremist Killed After Planning to Bomb Hospital in Kansas City


KANSAS CITY, Mo.—Police shot and killed a man on Tuesday night, according to new information from the FBI. He was a “potentially violent extremist.” Agents were executing a warrant the night he was killed.

Man Tried to Pick Up a Bomb, but It Didn’t Actually Exist

FBI agents attempted to arrest 36-year-old Timothy Wilson on Tuesday night in the 100 block of Wilbur Parish Circle, when he arrived to pick up a bomb that didn’t actually exist.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Missouri helped coordinate the encounter.

Marty Feuerborn, a witness to the operation, said:

“I asked them what happened and he said, ‘No I can’t talk about it,’ and then I started looking out and it was like one of those shows on TV—black SUVS—it was federal, you can tell.”

Agents Raid House Where the Man Lived With His Grandmother

While this was happening, agents were also present at a house on Hickoryleaf Lane in Raymore. Neighbors say that’s where Wilson lived with his grandmother.

One neighbor, Steve Fuhr, said, “They were bagging and tagging evidence, loading it in and loading it into their truck. They were here about three to four hours and then they all left.”

Fuhr said the man “just hung out with his grandmother,” and “[He] never did say anything that would indicate that he was some type of domestic terrorist or anything like that.”

Related: Man Coughs On Grocery Store Employee, Now Faces Terror Charges

Extremist Planned a Bombing Over Several Months’ Time

A statement issued on Wednesday revealed the details of this story. Wilson “was the subject of a months-long domestic terrorism investigation.”

Officials believe that his motivation was “racial, religious and anti-government animus.”

According to the FBI, Wilson planned a bombing over several months’ time. He “had considered several targets,” and had “taken the necessary steps,” to acquire materials he needed to build a bomb.

While this was happening, the FBI closely monitored Wilson.

FBI Releases Statement About the Incident

In a statement about the incident, the FBI said:

“With the current health crisis, Wilson decided to accelerate his plan to use a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (VBIED) in an attempt to cause severe harm and mass casualties.”

“Wilson considered various targets and ultimately settled on an area hospital in an attempt to harm many people, targeting a facility that is providing critical medical care in today’s environment.”

41 Action News tried to speak to Wilson’s grandmother, but he declined to comment. Next-door neighbor Diana Harris said the incident stunned her.

She hadn’t seen him trying to detox from alcohol or any other clues that something might be up.

“He was very quiet and subdued,” said Harris. “I was very shocked.”

Related: Mayor Begs Residents to ‘Stop shooting each other’ to Free Up Hospital Beds